Have you ever heard the saying: “It’s all about the journey, not the destination”? It’s a lovely and optimistic phrase that suggests life is to be savoured and enjoyed, every single step of the way, rather than getting too caught up in where you plan to end up.
When planning a holiday, however, the phrase doesn’t really work. The whole purpose of a holiday quite literally is the destination.
That being said, just because the destination is the key element of a holiday, it doesn’t mean that the journey in between has to be a total pain in the arse.
Whether you love travelling or not – there are steps that you can take to make your journey as painless as possible.
In this article, we’re going to focus specifically on airport shuttle bus & transfer services from Cairns to Port Douglas. Are they all they’re cracked up to be? Or a complete waste of time and money?
Let’s look at some of the pros and cons and you can make that decision for yourself. Here’s what you need to know…
The pros of an airport shuttle transfer service
So, what are the pros of using an airport shuttle transfer service?
- Safety: Opting out of an airport transfer service and making your own way to your accommodation always comes with an element of risk. Simply not knowing the roads is nuisance enough. Instead, having a professional driver who makes the journey on a daily basis can put your mind at ease. This is particularly important for women travelling alone who don’t feel comfortable with the thought of getting into a random taxi.
- It’s quick: Having no transportation booked when you touch down at an airport is an unnecessary time risk. For example, without a pre-booked vehicle you could end up waiting for an hour or more for a taxi. The same applies to renting a car: you’ll have to fill out all of the necessary documentation before you can hit the road. With a pre-booked airport shuttle service, however, you can be on your way within 15-20 minutes.
- No hidden charges: without any booked transportation, you could end up having to spend far more money than you anticipated. Particularly when you are irritable and desperate to get to your hotel, a taxi could end up charging you a truckload. Fortunately, with an airport transfer shuttle service booked in advance, you won’t run into any hidden charges.
- Cost-efficient: in general, airport transfer services are cheaper than taxis, renting a car, and the other alternative modes of transportation from an airport to your booked accommodation – even when travelling in a group.
- Comfort: any reputable airport transfer service will provide high-quality, air-conditioned vehicles to allow maximum comfort on the last leg of your journey. Sitting on a public bus or squeezing your family into a taxi on the other hand is not so comfortable.
- Online payment: being able to book and pay in advance can save you a headache when you touch down at the airport (finding an ATM or cash-conversion desk). Instead, all you need to do is collect your luggage, show your airport transfer booking number and you are good to go.
- Travelling with kids: arriving with small children and not having pre-booked transportation can be an issue – particularly when it comes to having child seats. Fortunately, any reputable airport transfer service can arrange a child seat in advance for your safety and convenience.
The cons of an airport shuttle transfer service
What are the cons of taking an airport shuttle transfer service?
- Potential wait: unless taking a private airport transfer service, you may be required to wait for the bus to fill. That said, airport transfer services run like clockwork so the maximum wait you are likely to ever experience is approximately 20-30 minutes max.
- Sharing transport: while the most reputable airport transfer services have spacious and comfortable buses, you will have to share with other people. This might not be ideal if you are exhausted from your flight and want a quiet last leg on your journey. That said, there is an alternative to booking a private transfer service if this is an issue for you.
- Can be problematic in the event of long delays: if your flight is delayed and you end up touching down in the airport long after the airport shuttle services have stopped running, it can be problematic. That said, as long as you maintain contact with your airport shuttle service, they will do their best to arrange alternate transportation. Unfortunately, as they are not responsible for delayed flights, you will be required to pay a premium outside of their typical shuttle bus hours.
- No control: some people prefer to rent a car and explore a new destination at their own pace. If you are one of these people, then using an airport transfer service might not be for you.
As you can see, the pros far outweigh the cons when booking an airport transfer shuttle bus service from Cairns to Port Douglas. Not only that, but the above cons are not unbearable and can easily be alleviated by booking a private airport transfer service – which is particularly affordable if you are travelling with a large group of friends.
In any case, there are some great benefits to booking an airport transfer service in advance. If you are a nervous traveller and prefer to know that you have everything arranged well in advance, then you can’t go wrong with a quality shuttle bus service.
We hope that you’ve found this article insightful and wish you the best of luck with your holiday! Bon voyage!