Why is Harry Potter so popular?
Harry Potter is so widely popular for several reasons, though it’s largely down to the excellent writing from J.K Rowling and the screenwriters who brought it to life through the 12 movies.
Not only that, but Harry Potter inspired a generation and taught them to relish their imagination. Many Harry Potter fans grew up with the actors who played Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and developed into young adults alongside them. This is one of the main reasons why there are so many adult fans of Harry Potter today.
Additionally, everyone loves an expansive fantasy world filled with rich lore and depth. Harry Potter is almost certainly a great example of this.
While it’s certainly not for everyone, Harry Potter is hugely popular and it will likely remain so for many, many years to come.
What is the main message in Harry Potter?
So, what is the main message in Harry Potter? One of the beautiful things about the Harry Potter franchise (and yet another likely reason as to why it became so popular), is the fact that there are several messages and each individual can derive any personal meaning they desire.
However, straight from the proverbial horse’s mouth: author J.K Rowling said that the main theme of Harry Potter was death. The other major themes in the series, include prejudice, corruption, and madness. Morose indeed!
And yet, despite the underlying darkness of the theme, the messages to be unearthed are largely positive. Here are 8 important lessons that we learned from Harry Potter:
- True friendship can get you through the darkest of times: Without Ron and Hermione—among other important pals acquired along the way (we’re looking at you Mr Longbottom)—Harry would never have been able to overcome the challenges set before him.
- Bravery comes in all shapes and sizes: No matter what we think we know about a person; they can always surprise us – particularly those we believe to be lacking in courage.
- You should never judge a book by its cover: There are a number of characters throughout Harry Potter’s adventures that we immediately dismiss as being evil – whether it be the house they are sorted into or their physical appearance. Harry Potter teaches us never to judge a book by its cover because you could end up being very wrong indeed!
- Never be afraid to ask for help: Just as true friendship can get you through difficult times, Harry Potter taught us that it’s perfectly OK to ask for help when you need it.
- Heartbreak is very much a part of life: No matter how much we try to run from it, sometimes heartbreak is an inevitability – but Harry Potter teaches us that life does go on.
- True love is forever: Love is a very, very strong theme present in the books and movies and despite the occasional spat of heartbreak, there are some extremely strong bonds that last forever.
- There’s more to life than money: Harry and Ron were worlds apart in terms of wealth, however, when it came to love and life, Ron was very much rich. Fortunately, Harry was invited into Ron’s family and made very much a part of it.
- You should always face your fears head-on: Harry Potter and his companions faced many challenges throughout their adventures, but they always dared to face their fears head-on. When they did so, it always paid off because they become stronger and wiser with each encounter.
Is Harry Potter Disney?
A common question that many people ask is whether Harry Potter is owned by Disney. While today, you can certainly stream all of the Harry Potter movies on the Disney+ streaming network, the franchise itself isn’t actually owned by Disney.
Harry Potter was originally produced and owned by Warner Bros. However, as of July 18th 2018, NBCUniversal purchased the rights from Warner Bros and is contracted to own the rights of the franchise through to April 2025. As to what the future has in store for the Harry Potter franchise after that is yet to be seen.
What are the 12 Harry Potter movies in order?
Contrary to what you may have heard, there aren’t actually 12 Harry Potter movies. There are 8 official Harry Potter movies, with an additional 3 in the franchise: Fantastic Beasts (so 11 in total). As for the 12th, it’s not really a movie, but a 20th Anniversary Celebration where much of the cast “Return to Hogwarts” to discuss their adventures. Additionally, there is a two-part play named: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
In any case, here are all of the Harry Potter movies in order:
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone in the US). 
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. 
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. 
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. 
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. 
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. 
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1. 
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2. 
Then, 5 years later the Fantastic Beasts franchise began:
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. 
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald. 
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore. 
The Fantastic Beasts universe is set around 70 years before Harry Potter’s introduction to the wizarding world. They’re a prequel series introducing new characters such as Newton “Newt” Scamander, and old familiar faces like Professor Dumbledore.
As for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child book and two-part play, it was released in the UK in 2016.
Final thoughts: Harry Potter is a titan among franchises that is here to stay
Harry Potter has been a widely popular and successful franchise and we believe that it will always be there to stay.
Just like Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter is a household name that many people love and adore.
Additionally, there is a large and growing selection of Harry Potter-themed merchandise and collectibles available online. If you are a big fan and wish to start a collection of your own, you’ll certainly find no shortage online. Harry Potter Handbags make wonderful gifts, just as they would be a great addition to any collection.
We hope that you have found this article helpful and wish you the best of luck when navigating the world of muggles!